Laurel is a senior associate at Rush Ihas Hardwick LLP who practices primarily in family law. The mainstay of her practice includes the full spectrum of legal issues arising out of separation and divorce.
Laurel’s strengths lie in high-net worth asset division, often complicated by corporate structures, multiple income streams, and other vehicles for holding and passing family property. She earned this proficiency by way of significant experience representing clients in commercial and intellectual property disputes in the technology, finance, and pharmaceutical industries. Laurel leverages this breadth of experience to her clients’ advantage, quickly bringing to bear a sophisticated take on the thorniest of issues.
Laurel’s litigation approach is client centered. She is guided by her intention to efficiently seek the practical outcome for each of her clients, which very often means negotiating an early resolution to her client’s benefit. As an advocate, she is energetic, even keeled, and at ease with legal principles, procedure, and evidence alike. These qualities make her effective in the courtroom. And she has appeared at all levels of court in Ontario and British Columbia, as well as the Federal Court of Canada. Today, Laurel routinely represents clients in the Supreme Court of British Columbia.
Prior to joining Rush Ihas Hardwick LLP, Laurel worked as an associate for several years in Toronto, Ontario, both at a leading litigation boutique and, later, a national law firm. She is dedicated to community service within the practice of law, having maintained a seat on various boards of governance and councils over the last several years.
- Continuing Legal Education, Practice Before the Registrar, Co-Author
- Dean’s Honours List, University of Ottawa, Faculty of Law, 2013 – 2015
- Harold G. Fox Cup, Best Mooting Team, 2014
- Donald F. Sim Award, Best Oral Advocate, 2014
- Dimock Stratton LLP Award, Best Mooter, 2014
- Atos IT Solutions and Services GMBH v. Sapient Canada Inc., 2018 ONCA 374
- Major League Baseball v. Cardinal, 2018 ONSC 714
- York University v. Markicevic, 2018 ONCA 893
- Morzaria v. College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario, 2017 ONSC 1940
- Riddell v. Apple Canada Inc., 2017 ONCA 590
- Schenk v. Valeant Pharmaceuticals International Inc., 2017 ONSC 5101
- Cardinal v. Cleveland Indians Baseball Co. Limited Partnership, 2016 ONSC 6929
- Valeant Canada LP v. Apotex Inc., 2016 FC 1359
- Law Society of British Columbia
- Canadian Bar Association
- Kelowna Bar Association
- Canadian Bar Association, Provincial Council, Yale County Member
- Canadian Bar Association, Court Services Committee, Yale County Member
- Child Advocacy Centre, Governance Committee, Co-Chair
- Young Women in Law in Toronto, Past Vice President and Past President
Laurel's Latest Updates